Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 A Year To Remember

Ah, a new year. A time for fresh starts and a time to look back at this wonderful year, right? Huh??!! What fantasy world are you living in? Where have you been all year??

This year has not been perfect, but then again it will never be perfect in this world.  This is the year I will always remember as the year I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystits (IC).  As I reflect back on this year, there have been a lot of hard times, but there have been more good times than bad and many good things that have been instilled (no pun intended) in me because I have IC.

Since I have had IC, I have learned not to judge others as much.  You just never know the whole story until you personally know that person or have been through something  similar yourself.  And then again every person is different, so it is better just not to judge at all.

I have also learned empathy. I try to put myself  in the same position as the other person. I can relate to chronic pain. I can relate to depression and fatigue.  I can relate to others who are suffering too.

I hope to help others through the experiences of my journey.  I hope that one day with my help and the help from others, that if you are diagnosed with IC that you don't feel hopeless.  I hope that you don't feel alone and helpless.  It is not a good feeling and no one should have to go through this alone.

I hope that if you have been trying treatments and they are not working that you will keep trying.  Don't ever give up hope that one day you will find exactly what you have been looking for in relief.  It's not easy to keep trying scary, new things.  It's not easy to keep going to the doctor so much.  The burden of the expenses is not easy, but we have to keep trying.  If you want to find some people who are not quitters, then all you need to do is meet someone with IC.

I have learned that if there is a subject you want to know and understand, such as IC.  Then you need to do research for yourself from a reliable source. Read about others who are going through some of the same things or ask questions to someone who may have the knowledge you need.

I have learned that doctors don't know everything.  IC and pain are so complex that they try to suggest what they think is best, but it is your body. You need to decide what is best for you. Also, it may take several different doctors to make you feel like a "normal" person.  I am going to my Urogynecologist for rescue treatments and for his wisdom from many years of treating IC patients.  I am going to my Urologist for his desire to treat the cause and not just the symptoms.  I am going to my physical therapist for insight on nutrition, relaxation and exercises that I can do on my own.

My whole life has changed, but who is to say that it is not for the better.  I certainly feel closer to God.  I have more time to spend with my family. I have also met some amazing people on different support sites. I would have never known these people if not for IC. Some of these people have been great sources of inspiration and motivation to me.

In my life, I have learned that the people that matter most to me are still there for me.  These people are the ones that ask "How do you feel?" and really mean it.  I think we should thank God every day for our loved ones and for what  He  has done in our lives. 

Yes, my life has changed, but it could be worse.  I still have my faith. I still have the love and support of my loved ones and I still can encourage others.

I look forward to the new year.  I look forward to meeting new people.  I look forward to getting closer to God. I look forward to helping others.

I do not have any new year's resolutions only goals that I have set for myself.  But hey, if resolutions work best for you, then that is what you should do.

I pray for guidance and direction for the new year.  I pray for lost souls, healing hearts and comfort for those who are sad or weary. I pray that each of you will never give up hope for healing and never give up on your dreams.

               Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."
As my friend said to me, "You are gonna rock in 2013!"

Let me know your thoughts and plans for the new year by leaving your comments below.

email: bbbennett65@gmail.com
twitter: @bb65ichope

Happy New Year!!!
 






4 comments:

  1. Barbara, I enjoyed reading your blog. While reading, it was almost like I had been reading my own thoughts & feelings. Even though I wish IC on no one, I'm very thankful that GOD has placed other wonderful people in this world to give each of us a sense of comfort, some support, & encouragement. We all need it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ree Ree, thank you. I think that is one of the best compliments you could have given me. I think we need to support and encourage each other as much as possible. Hugs and prayers to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring. It made me smile. I hope all of us IC'ers have an easier year this year. Who knows maybe 2013 is the year they will find a cure for IC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were inspired! Yes, I hope we all have a better year in 2013. Hugs and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete