Monday, November 4, 2013

The Wedding

Months and months of planning, stressing and spending came to an end.  My daughter was married on October 26th.  The wedding ceremony was beautiful. It was the perfect blend of traditional and contemporary.  It was a wonderful display of people not focusing on how different they are, but how much they share in common. 

As Miranda was getting dressed for the wedding one of the groom's Aunts handed her a lovely, antique handkerchief. I was so relieved because I could not think of anything appropriate to let her "borrow."  It seemed everything that our family could not provide, his family stepped up and provided what was needed.  I was almost brought to tears.  Miranda insisted that I leave then, so that she would not cry too.  It was a sweet moment to share with my lovely daughter before her wedding.

She was married in my Mom's church.  It is over 100 years old and only used for special services, since they have built another larger sanctuary. The backdrop for the occasion  had glimpses of days gone by.
 
There was a candle lighting and placing of a rose as a memorial to the groom's Mom. It was a touching display of respect and love to a special lady who passed onto heaven suddenly and way too soon last year.

As Miranda walked down the aisle, one of the three talented vocalist sang the perfect song " I'm Marrying My Angel Today."  The lyrics of the song seem to have been written especially for Miranda and Vince...

 
Take a Listen...I'm Marrying My Angel Today By Jamie Foxx


Miranda looked stunning as she walked down the aisle in her elegant dress. She was crying as my husband walked with her arm in arm.  As soon as the groom saw her, he started crying too. Emotions were running high for many of the attendees of the wedding.  My husband was holding back his tears, as he gave our daughter away.  He handed her hand to the preacher.  He in turn handed it to the groom.  The significance of this gesture was heart touching.

The vows were as traditional as they come..."I, Miranda, take you Vince, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part."

As I listened to the part about "in sickness and health" it really made me think.  My husband and I took those same vows 27 years ago.  Neither one of us knowing that years later our vows would be put to the test.  Who knew I would be diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis (IC) and all the other related conditions that are a part of our daily lives now?  But he has stayed true to his vows and for this I will always be grateful.

As the preacher talked about the foundation of good marriage he poured sand into the heart shaped container.  The bride then poured, from her container, orange colored sand. The groom poured, from his container, brown colored sand. Each color representing them as individuals. The preacher said " The individual containers of sand will no longer exist, but will be joined together as one. Just as these grains of sand can never be separated and poured again into the individual containers, so will your marriage be."

The blending of the sand not only symbolizes the unity of the couple, but the blending of two families. As we celebrated this day together, it became clear to me that both families are down to earth, friendly, God loving people. Of course the two families look different on the outside, but the things that matter...faith, hope and love...we share in common.

My beautiful daughter and my new Son-in-Law






You can email me:

bbbennett65@gmail.com 
 
You can follow me on Twitter:

 
You can follow me on Pinterest:













No comments:

Post a Comment