Sunday, August 4, 2013

gOOD CleAN? FuN!


This past week, I went to a baby shower and had a...um, how shall I say it...very unique experience.  My niece had a shower on Sunday.  Miranda, my daughter and I decided to meet each other there about 4:00.

I had to push myself, but I had several good days is in a row, so I made up my mind that I wanted to go.  I made Alan go with me on Friday night to pick out some baby outfits, as my gift. We went into a store, headed straight for the baby clothes and picked out some of the cutest little boy outfits you have ever seen.

As we arrived, the party was already in full swing.  Just so you guys know, this is what we do at baby showers:  We all bring gifts to "shower" the special lady.  We play games, talk and eat.  There's lots of talking and laughing... just good clean fun!  I guess that's why they call it a shower. ha, ha
As the party was winding down, Miranda and I were talking to my sister in law and her oldest daughter.  Her oldest daughter was married in May.  We were quizzing them on everything from where they bought their invitations to who did their alternations.

I was standing closest to the front door, while we were talking.  Someone knocked and I opened the door and asked the lady to come.  Like it was my own house or something.  It was then that I heard someone from the larger crowd from the living room say the "M" word...you know, MOUSE!!!

I was making my way closer to the front door, just hearing that scary word.  Then the hostess mentions that they have pet RATS!!.  She proceeds to a room where the door had been shut.  She comes back out with a rrr...you know, RAT!!!

I darted across the living room of this house I had never been in, surrounded by people I had just met and was making my way to the deck outside to go cry.  As I paused for a moment to try to gather my coolness...what do you know, coolness is a word...I heard the calm voice of a young lad who happen to be the daughter of the hostess.  I was in her house and I just met her, as I was trying to make my escape, from what turned out to be one of the two pet RATS that her family loves...and I use the word love very loosely.

How could I even express to this sweet, pretty young lady my disgust for mice and rats in general??  I think they are nasty, disease carry, repulsive little critters.  I was beginning to really get stressed out about the whole situation.  My hands were shaking and I wanted to cry, as others passed the varmints around the room, petting them like they were, were can you believe actual pets??!!

Instead of being the crazy lady who bolted outside and cried, I focused my attention on what the young lady was telling me.  She said that her Mom is a school teacher and takes them to the classroom.  She said they usually let them run loose in the living room.  WHAT??!!

As you may have figured out, I have Musophobia, or the fear of mice.  My natural reaction is to run and cry.  I was able to calm my fear, by concentrating on the words of the pet owner.  I was concentrating on something other than what I perceived, as my actual problem.

My point is this.  If you are in pain and you stay in the bed all day and do nothing, but concentrate on your pain, then the pain is all your brain can think about.  If you are stressed about work on some family issue and all you do is think about the problem, then your mind becomes consumed by these thoughts and they can ruin your life.

If you are in a situation that has you stressed, focus on someone else talking or listen to some calming music or watch a funny video. I saw a good idea on one of my Support pages.  You can write a letter to yourself when you are having a good day and label it "Pain Pep Letter."  Write some truths about pain, such as pain is temporary.  I think we all have some days that are better than others.  When we are having a bad day, we can read the letter we wrote to ourselves.   Call or text your best friend and find out what they are doing.  Take a walk in your neighborhood or in a park.  Concentrate on the beauty of God's creation.  Pray to God as you walk.
 
For those of you who know me well, you may not believe it, but I have been waking up early most mornings to read my Bible and then walk and pray. (I am not known for waking up early!!)  But I really feel a closeness to God in those early morning, quiet walks.  It takes the focus off of my aches and pains. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" James 1:2-4  

We all need our "go to" hobbies, crafts, people or music that is our escape.  I'm not saying to totally ignore all of your problems.  No, no my friends, I'm saying don't let them be the main focus of your life or let them destroy your life or don't let them ruin your fun at a baby shower!


I'm going to provide a link a video that is so funny.  It is about a talented ventriloquist and it is good clean fun! 


http://vimeo.com/61886386

Aww, how cute!
Miranda and Serena
 Let me know some of the things that scare you or any of your comments below!
 
           Some  additional tips for IC Patients:




For more information on Interstitial Cystitis please visit the ICA Website




You can email me:

bbbennett65@gmail.com



You can follow me on Twitter:


 

You can follow me on Pinterest:



3 comments:

  1. I am like you I fear Rats. When I was growing up my sister and a friend was down in our basement watching and this little mouse ran in front of me. I was laying on the floor, all 3 of us girls got on a foot stool and dad came flying down the stairs with a gun. All it was, was a little mouse, He laughed at us. Then he picked it up and flushed it down the toilet for a long time I was afraid it would come back and bite my butt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like them either, but I'm not sure why. I was proud that I was able to remain focused during the rat parade at the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rats that scare me most are the ones that look a lot like the man I see in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete