Sunday, January 19, 2014

Treasure

After I talked with a friend that has Fibromyalgia (Fibro) and is going through some of the same issues that I am, I decided that I wanted to start going back to physical therapy.

She said that she was going to a place in my hometown and that it was helping her.  I told my family doctor of my desire to go back to pt and he got the ball rolling.

My first visit was this week.  Before I went I called and asked to talk to one of the therapists.  I was quizzing her about what she knew and what techniques she uses.  I have been around this block before and I learned a few things, so I wanted to make sure it would be worth my time.

After agreeing to meet with a therapist I made an appointment that was around lunchtime so I could go on my lunch break.  The lady that checked me in was very friendly and very informative.  She made me feel comfortable.  She walked with me to the second floor and showed me exactly where to check in and where to go.

Then my therapist came into the room.  The first thing she did was ask me if it was okay for an intern to come into the room with her.  Some people don't like having another person in the room but I see it as an opportunity to help educate another person about Interstitial Cystitis (IC), Fibro, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Vulvodynia, Sciatia, etc,etc.

The therapist basically had me do some leg lifts against her applying pressure so she could see how strong or weak certain muscles are in my leg.  She also started me back on a core stabilization exercise that my former therapist had also taught me.  

If you are like me and you have IC you may be afraid to try anything new or out of your normal routine in fear of a flare.  She wanted me to do 10 reps, but I only did a few and said that I would have to build up to more.  Shhh...IC is all about keeping the bladder calm.  We must not do anything to upset the bladder!!

Physical therapy is a commitment. You have to be willing to give up some time, energy and there is always homework.  It is just like going to the doctor.  If you go and don't do what they recommend then you may not see the full benefits.

If you think you need to go to Physical Therapy then I suggest the following:
  1. Commit yourself to the time it takes to make your body feel better.  This may be a lengthy time commitment, but a healthier body is worth it.
  2. Call the therapist and ask questions BEFORE you go.  For me it is always the fear of the unknown that makes me more nervous.  Once I understand what is going to happen the calmer I am going to be.
  3. Know Your body's limits.  If the request is to do ten reps then start out with three for a few days.  If your body tolerates it work your way up to ten reps.  You won't be punished if you do less, but your body will punish you if you do too much!!
  4. Listen to all of the advice a therapist gives you, do your own research and decide what is best for you (and your bladder).
  5. If you don't make a connection with the therapist after a couple of visits request to see a different one.  It is your body, time and money, so make the best of it!  I think these suggestions could apply to anyone that goes to a therapist,doctor or starts an exercise program of any type.
I feel that therapy is a total body commitment.  To make the most of your investment know what is best for you and make sure the care you are receiving is quality care.

It reminds me of what we studied at Bible Study this week.  We were studying Mark 12:28-34. 


"To give your all to God" as my Pastor put it.  Let's just think about the heart.  The heart controls our emotions, desires and affections.  If we want to know what are affections are then we need to look at what occupies our time and what motivates us to do what we do.

What are heart longs for is what we treasure the most. Matt. 6:21 “For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be.”  How do we get to the point where Jesus is our greatest treasure?  I think we can do this by reading His word and praying to Him that He would be valued as the greatest treasure in our heart and...spend time with Him.  Set aside some time each day to be with Him only and only Him. Use this time to praise Him, pray to Him and read and meditate on His word.

Can you imagine how your life would change if Jesus was your greatest treasure?  You think about that and let me know your thoughts below.  I hope you will take the time to listen to this beautiful song about God's love.

 
For more information on Physical Therapy
please visit Proaxis' website:

For more information on Interstitial Cystitis 
please visit the ICA's website

For more information on Fibromyalgia 
please visit the Fibromyalgia Network's website

You can email me:
bbbennett65@gmail.com

You can follow me on Twitter:

You can follow me on Pinterest:

No comments:

Post a Comment