Sunday, April 14, 2013

Memory Lane

I went to a place that we all know.  Sometimes it can be a good place.
Sometimes it can be a painful place.  It can be a place where we go to learn from our mistakes.  It can be a reminder of our failures.  It can be a place of great joy.

This place where we all have been, is memory lane. Merriam-Webster defines memory lane as "an imaginary path through the nostalgically remembered past."


I have been thinking about how things in my life have happened...really big things.  I have been thinking about how I started dating my husband.  My friend and I always went roller skating every weekend at the skating rink.  That is where my future husband made me notice him.  It's not where we met, because we were in 3rd grade together...aww,how sweet.  But I liked Billy then and did not notice Alan much at all.

Anyway, when I wanted to go to the prom in the ninth grade, I asked Alan.  Yes, I asked him out for our first date.  And the rest, as they say, is history.  But what if I hadn't been friends with a girl that liked to go skating?  I am so thankful for roller skating now that I had my walk down memory lane.  And he wonders why I won't throw my roller skates away...good memories, that's why!

Ms. Wash was my homeroom teacher in the sixth grade.  That is where I met and became friends with a girl named Tracy.  Tracy and I have been best friends ever since.  What if I had been in Mr. Dansby's homeroom??!!  I might not have met Tracy and my life would not be the same!!!

Tracy and I have been best friends, even though she moved to New York after she married.  She usually comes to town once a year to visit.  So, on these annual visits we get together with some of our school friends and go out to dinner.  We did that this week and I enjoyed it very much.  It is great to have everyone come together.  We probably would never do it on our own.  But when Tracy is here, it is a great reason to have a small reunion.

Tracy and I have been through a lot together.  We endured the hardship of puppy love and breakups when we were younger.  We went to church together.  We helped each other with school work.  We laid out in the sun on her trampoline with butter all over us...um, well, maybe that wasn't such a good memory. 

When the results from my daughter's pap smear showed she had precancerous cells a couple of years ago, I talked to Tracy and she helped me through that difficult time.  When we are down about our daily struggles, we can pick up the phone and help each other through.  Even though she lives far away now, we still stay in touch.  

When I was first diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis (IC), Tracy was there for me.  She suggested things for me to try and genuinely seemed to care about me. I can always count on Tracy.  She has been a great friend and I know she is always there for me, no matter what is going on in my life.  I thank God that she is my best friend.


My life could have turned out completely different, if certain people were not in my life.  I am glad that my friend liked to skate.  I am thankful that I was in Ms. Wash's homeroom.  Our friends have a big influence on our lives.  So much so that we often behave the same way our friends do.

The Bible tells us to choose our friends carefully.  Proverbs 13:20: “He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.”   You can actually suffer as a result of the company you keep.  You can also benefit greatly from good friends.

The apostle Paul talked about this in 1 Corinthians 15:33. “Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character."  Love me some Paul!!

When I was younger, I didn't have a clue that friends could have such an impact on my life.  I now know that God was looking out for me when he blessed me with certain people he placed in my life.  I am thankful for all the people with good character that God has blessed me over the years.  I am thankful for wise friends!
Me and Tracy, best friends for life!





Share MayFlowers is a public health and awareness campaign focused primarily on the under-discussed topics of female pelvic and perinatal health, launched by Women's Action Initiative.
To learn more about Interstitial Cystitis:

You can follow me on Twitter:


You can follow me on Pinterest:

You can email me:
bbbennett65@gmail.com






 

No comments:

Post a Comment