Monday, May 20, 2013

Just Like Old Times

Last Sunday was Mother's Day.  I felt ok physically, but I was in a bad mood.  Nothing in particular, I was just having a bad day.  I didn't go to church.  I knew that going to church and celebrating with my family was just too much.  So I conserved my energy.

My family met at a restaurant for lunch.  I was not able to enjoy the meal or the company.  Not only because of my mood, but because of the chairs.  The restaurant had those dreaded wooden chairs.  Sitting is painful for me because of my vulvodynia (chronic pain in the lady parts), chronic posterior thigh pain and sciatica.  I could not sit in them for more than about 10 minutes at a time.  Luckily this particular restaurant had a store that I could browse around in and avoid those terrible chairs.

Afterwards we went to my Mom's house.  My brother was picking on me (as brother's do), but I certainly was not in the mood for it and he hurt my feelings.  I know that I am overly emotional now that I have Interstitial Cystitis (IC).  I have always been an overly sensitive person, but now it is even worse.  It was one of those days that I just wanted to be over!

My daughter, Miranda, was going to come see me the next day.  When I woke up the next day, I was still in that terrible mood from the day before.  I decided that I needed to take a pain pill and change my attitude.  I kept telling myself that I needed to practice what I preach (see blog post entitled "Attitude" http://bb65ichope.blogspot.com/2013/05/attitude.html).

Miranda came over and we decided to cook supper.  Miranda and I started cooking and my husband finished.  We ate supper together...just the 3 of us.  It was just like old times when my daughter lived at home.  I enjoyed it so much.

After supper we all 3 sat in the living room and talked...just like old times. Then I opened gifts from my daughter.  Her gift selections were perfect.  She gave me a frog flag, sunflower plates and giraffe pattern candle holders.  I love frogs.  No,of course not real ones!! But they are cute in pictures, etc.  I also try to change my small flag by the mailbox frequently.  I have decorated my kitchen with sunflowers.  They seem so bright and cheery.  I have just started decorating in my bathroom with giraffe print.




She also gave me a card.  It was the perfect card for me.  Inside the card there was some Scripture that I want to share with you.
"Oh, how grateful and thankful I am to the Lord because He is so good." Psalm 7:17
This Scripture summed up how I felt...thankful to the Lord for my daughter, my husband, my mother, my brother and all of my family. Even though I don't show it all the time (as I should), I am so thankful for all that God has given me. IC has changed my life, but I still have my family and I feel incredibly blessed!




Share MayFlowers is a public health and awareness campaign focused primarily on the under-discussed topics of female pelvic and perinatal health, launched by Women's Action Initiative.
To learn more about Interstitial Cystitis:


You can follow me on Twitter:



You can follow me on Pinterest:



You can email me:











2 comments:

  1. Perhaps your brother is old and just comes across the wrong way sometimes without even knowing it...Sometimes, when guys pick on people, it's because they like them

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not old...I know you meant no harm. It had more to do with the way I was feeling than anything :)

    ReplyDelete